Tuesday 24 September 2013

The Participle as the Part of a Complex Object or a Complex Subject

Similar to the Infinitive Participle I may form part of a Complex Object or Subject when combined with a noun (pronoun) to which it stands in predicate relation.

Compare:
  • I saw him run along the street. (Infinitive Complex Object)He was seen run along the street. (Infinitive Complex Subject)
  • I saw him running along the street. (Participle Complex Object)He was seen running along the street. (Participle Complex Subject)

Such complexes occur after verbs denoting physical perceptions – 'to see', 'to hear', 'to feel', 'to watch', 'to find', 'to catch'.


Patterns. Read and Memorize!
Complex Object Complex Subject
I saw her getting off the train.
I could hear him whispering my name.
We found the children playing on the beach.  
She was seen getting off the train.
He was heard whispering my name.
The children were found playing on the beach.

Note 1: - Participle I used as part of a Complex Subject follows verbs of physical perception in the passive voice.
Note 2: - Participle I used as part of a Complex Object or Subject emphasizes the idea that the action is in process, whereas the Infinitive just names the action.

Participle II is used as a part of a Complex Object after the verbs 'to get', 'to have', 'to want'.

Key example:
  • He wants a new suit made.

Patterns. Read and Memorize:
I had my car repaired.
She wants her hair cut short.
I must get the house painted.
The boy had his tonsils removed.

Note: - The pattern ‘to have (to get, to want) something done’ denotes that the action expressed by the Participle II is performed for the person (not by the person!) denoted by the subject of the sentence.